Powered by Blogger.

Tofu Fried Rice | Recipe


Hi everyone! Today I'm sharing one of my go-to recipes that I make when I'm hungry and need something filling and tasty - fried rice! I know I've been on a health kick recently, but sometimes I just crave something a little on the unhealthy side. However I do still try to make my fried rice as healthy as possible, and I'm going to share the recipe with you all today!

Since fried rice is so versatile, you can add anything you want! I wanted to make this recipe vegan, so I swapped out the eggs for tofu instead. I also added a lot of vegetables, so it's not really that unhealthy... Right? 😉

Here's the recipe!

YOU WILL NEED:
2 - 3 cups of cooked rice
1/2 block of extra firm tofu
1/2 onion
2 tsp garlic paste
1 - 1/2 cups of frozen vegetables
1 bell pepper
1/2 head of broccoli 
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt & pepper to taste

First of all, you want to make sure your rice is was cooked the previous day. If you're craving fried rice that day, then cook your rice as normal and leave it out on a tray or plate to cool quickly. Cooking fried rice with warm freshly cooked rice can make your end result mushy! If you're cooking your rice on the day, then make sure it's completely cool before proceeding!

Chop your onion and vegetables and set them aside. As I said above, you can add whatever vegetables you want; I just used what I had in the fridge.

Heat some oil in a large pan on a medium heat and fry off your onions until they're translucent. Add your garlic paste and fry for a minute, stirring continuously. 

Add in your chopped broccoli and bell pepper and cook until they're slightly soft. Once they're soft, add your frozen vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.

After the vegetables have been cooking, crush in your tofu. You don't need to press it - just use your hands and crush it straight into the pan! Now, add in your turmeric and salt and pepper, and mix everything thoroughly.

After everything has been cooking for a minute, add in your rice. Start off with 2 cups and if you feel you need more, then add in more rice gradually. Also add in your soy sauce and stir until the rice is completely coated. 

Fry everything for a further 3 minutes to heat the rice through. Taste for seasoning, and that's all!

Serve your rice however you want; it works well as a main meal or as a side with other things. I had mine with some chicken, but I'd also have it just by itself! To make it even more healthier, swap your rice for cauliflower or quinoa - that would be delicious too!



RELATED POST: