Powered by Blogger.

6 Things To Do When You're Stuck Inside

 

The words "cabin fever" have never felt more relatable in my life, because we're now entering the 4th week of being on lockdown here in China! The rules of our dorm have toughened up a little bit - we used to be able to go out at least go out once a day, but now its been cut to three times a week. Other university students can't go out at all, so we're a little but more fortunate than some. But even with that small amount of freedom, I haven't been going out at all because the cases of those who have the coronavirus in my city are increasing day by day.

That leaves me indoors with nothing to do! So naturally, I've written a few things that I think can help you not lose your wits and pass the time. I think it's only fitting that after last week's blog post, this be the follow up don't you think?

GET YOUR CHEF ON
I spent a lot of money last semester eating out because I didn't have much time to cook, and over time it started adding up, so when the holiday started I told myself that I would start cooking again. I've mainly been making loads of curries and different types of pasta sauces that I wanted to try out when school was hectic. I typically meal prep because it stretches the food out longer, but sometimes inspiration will hit me and I'll cook something there and then. 

CLEAN, ORGANISE & DECLUTTER
I did this right at the beginning of the winter holiday - taking clothes I didn't wear anymore and putting them away, sorting out my desk and the contents of all my drawers and suitcases, sorting out my laptop and all the files that accumulated since September, and doing the same to my phone. There's something so freeing about letting go of your literal baggage, whether it's right in front of you, or somewhere in your digital space. I also took the time to cut down on how many social media accounts I follow, and that felt just as great too. 

If you're interested, I wrote a whole blog post about organising and decluttering your digital space, which is the blueprint that I used when I was sorting through all my stuff.

GET STUCK IN A GOOD BOOK
I haven't been reading as much as I thought I would if I'm being honest. Reading throughout the semester didn't happen, unless it was a textbook for class. I have a few books on my list that I want to read sometime this year though - Atomic Habits by James Clear, I know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, Crescent  by Diana Abu-Jaber, and Once In A Promised Land by Laila Halaby.

Crescent and Once In A Promised Land are both written by Arab-American women who explore the central theme of identity in their writing, and I found out about them from a friend who wrote about them in her thesis. I loved her work about the books so much I decided I just need to read them both myself!

Atomic Habits is a book about building good habits, which is just right up my alley. It's very popular in the self-help community and I really want to give it a try. Lastly, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is the only book I actually have on hand at the moment, and it's one I've had for an embarrassingly long time but haven't yet finished. I'm planning on finishing that first and getting onto Crescent! I'd appreciate some book recommendations down below if you have any!

WATCH A MOVIE...
... or a few. There's something so great about watching a movie you've wanted to see for aaaages, especially if it's raining outside and you're warm inside with snacks, tea, and a huge fluffy blanket. I just watched the Korean movie Parasite and it's easily one of the best films I've watched recently. It was on my radar since the trailer was released last year, and it did not disappoint. No wonder it did so well at the Oscars!

I have a blog post about 5 Korean movies I think everyone needs to watch, and after I watch a few more, a part 2 will definitely come soon.

Another film I want to watch is a Chinese movie whose title translates to Hide and Seek. It's a typical home invasion movie but I saw a snippet online and thought that it looked so cool!

I've also been watching some anime and K-dramas, but I think that's a post for another time to come.

READ SOME GREAT BLOGS
I've been doing this since the winter holiday first started, and I think it's easily one of my favourite things to do. I found my blogging mojo and started writing again, and along with that, I've been reading a lot of awesome content!

This is by no means exhaustive, but a few blogs I've loved recently are Nicole-Eva, Samantha. J, Misty Prose, Daisybutter, and From Roses.

I've had so much free time on my hands I've been reading a lot of new content everyday, so I've loved more than just these five, but if you're looking for some new bloggers to get into I definitely couldn't recommend these lovely ones enough!

CATCH UP WITH FRIENDS
This winter will definitely be one to remember, not only because of the obvious, but because of all the late night video calls I've been making my friends. Its been lovely catching up with all my friends back in the UK, my cousins back home, and my friends here in China too. Med school is so busy and there was never time to spend an entire afternoon just chatting away on my phone.

My roommate and I have also been going downstairs (and having people come up to see us!) to see some friends who are also still in the building, and talking to our families a whole lot more too! If you're stuck indoors this winter, give your mum, old uni friends, and even grandma a ring!

Other than the usual scrolling of social media and YouTube (because, come on...), that's how I've been passing the time here in my little dorm room. It's been nice catching up on things like organising and blog reading, but I'm more than ready for us to be allowed out again.

Anyway, until then please do leave all your recommendations down below! I'd love to know how you spend time indoors!