Powered by Blogger.

How To Be More Energised



When I first started sixth form, I suddenly started having bouts of low energy when I came home after school. Fast forward a few years, I still do sometimes get tired but I've managed to lessen the feeling with these simple steps.

Being tired all the time is no way to live your life - it makes you unproductive, can put you in a bad mood, and sometimes leave you feeling like doing nothing all day but either sleeping or watching Netflix. 

These are all things I do when I begin to feel that afternoon sluggishness creep up on me. They work really well, and I want to share them with you so hopefully they can help you too!

The first thing to do is to realise why you're feeling tired in the first place. Is it because you're not sleeping, you're burnt out at work or school, or any other reason. Think through the past couple of months and consider what may be making you feel tired.

For me nowadays, it's if I haven't been out all day or if ate a bit too much at lunch time (lolz). Once I notice why I'm feeling the way I am, it helps me tackle what to do next.

Once you realise what has been zapping your energy, you can follow these tips below to get more energised! I just want to say that I am no doctor or medical expert, these things are what I personally do when I need to boost myself up! If this is something you are truly worried about or it's something that has been going on for an extended period of time, then please visit a health professional. 

FRESH AIR
If I haven't been out all day, I know that what I need to do is get outside and get some fresh air. I used to think just opening a window would suffice but there's something about having yourself out in nature that gets you feeling better straight away.

I love to go for walks in the evenings, sometimes alone, sometimes with a friend and I just breathe in the air and take in the scenery. I'm so grateful for my campus having loads of greenery and loads of space for me to roam around, so I definitely take advantage of it. I'm also grateful for my city's air quality not being as bad as big cities like Beijing, so I'm able to breathe in the air as much as I like!

Try to be out for at least 30 minutes every day to truly feel the effects on your body. Now that it's winter break, it's so easy to just stay indoors all day and not leave my room at all if I wanted to. But I know to truly feel my best, I need to be outdoors, so I make it a point to go out once a day.

DRINK WATER
A common cause for tiredness is dehydration, so naturally, the thing to do is to keep hydrated!

I aim to drink at least 2 liters of water everyday, and sometimes I make it, sometimes I drink less. To keep myself accountable, I carry a bottle of water with myself everywhere and fill it up when it's done!

I'm sure by now we all know that warm or room temperature water is much healthier for you than cold water, especially in the mornings. That's why when I wake up and before I go to sleep, I drink a cup of warm water to keep myself hydrated and to help with my digestion.

If the taste of water is boring for you, then spruce it up with some fruit or veg! Lemon, ginger, cucumber, blueberries - all of these are great suggestions for flavouring your water. 

Next time you're feeling tired, drink some H²O and see how you feel!


KEEP IT MOVING
Something that I have really slipped up on is exercise. I often think of the days back home when I would do loads of yoga and go for runs and I seriously shake my head at myself.

Exercise is used by a lot of people to give them a quick boost of energy. The endorphins and blood rushing around your body will definitely increase your stamina and help you feel less tired.

Even just 30 minutes a day can seriously bring about a major difference. Whether you like to head to the gym, go for runs, go swimming or play tennis, they can all contribute massively. 

TAKE A NAP
A quick power nap can seriously do wonders, and it's nowadays usually the first thing I think of doing.

20 minutes is the recommended time for a nap because you're in the lighter stages of non-REM sleep, so you'll feel less groggy and more energised when you wake up.

Napping any longer is gonna leave you feeling even worse than before and can seriously ruin your sleeping pattern later on at night.

Naps have also been shown to improve memory, increase creativity, and reduce stress, so if this sounds great to you, then try to schedule in a 20 minute nap in the afternoon everyday and see how you get on!

On the same note, aim for 8 hours of sleep at night! Sleep at a reasonable time and you'll wake up refreshed and energised in the morning.


AVOID THE FOOD COMA
Eating until you're so full you can't even walk after is so unhealthy for you! There really is no reason to keep piling food in yourself until you can't move.

I used to think that eating that much was a good thing; you're not wasting food, and I lowkey used to enjoy that sleepy feeling I got afterwards. Now that I'm getting older, I look at food as fuel and I'm much more conscious of what I'm putting in my body and in what quantities too.

If you eat the right things and in the right amounts, you'll have energy to do all the things you need to during the day! 

When I eat, I aim for that sweet spot of knowing I'm full but not going over the top. I just treat the remaining food as leftovers and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes something does taste way too good to just stop (I mean, it is China) but everyday I'm practising a lot more restraint and aiming for that sweet spot. 

Those are all things I do when I'm feeling like dropping everything and just laying in bed for the rest of the day! There are other things you can do, like drinking something with caffeine, but me and caffeine are a bad mix so that's why I didn't recommend it. If caffeine is your thing, then try swapping your coffee for tea or matcha. They do offer more benefits than coffee!

If there are any other ways you can think of, then please leave a comment down below! 

I'll see you in the next one!