Powered by Blogger.

17 Things I Learned in 2017


I don't know about you, but my 2017 was so crazy emotional and it was such a rollercoaster that I'm ready to move on and welcome the new year. That being said, I learned a lot of new life lessons this year that I wanna share with you! I think looking back on your year to see how far you've come is a great positivity booster and can make you feel really good about yourself, so let's move onto the post!

1. Crying is ok. Crying isn't a sign of weakness - release your emotions and if crying is the way it's going to be, then do it. Let out the stress and sadness in you and just have a cry without feeling embarrassed or ashamed.

2. Not everything is meant for you. This is something that took me a long time to accept, but it's true! Not everything is meant for you, and that's ok! We all have our own paths we are meant to take, and what seemingly looks amazing on one path is going to be insignificant when you focus on your own path and what awaits you there.

3. I really love wearing my hair up. I can count on one hand the amount of times I wore my hair down!

4. I have a genuine love for learning. I love finding out new information and new facts and anything I didn't know before. That's why I started listening to podcasts and learning a new language; because even on a gap year I just can't sit still - I have to be learning something!

5. Journaling is great for mental health. Journaling has been such a great stress reliever for me! I can't describe the feeling of putting all your thoughts down - it just gets rid of so much tension. I've been journaling more consistently this year and I hope I continue that into 2018.

6. I'm kinda lactose intolerant. I had an inkling, but when I finally stopped dairy and felt 1000 times better, I realised that I should have done this sooner!

7. Not everything will work in your favour, and sometimes that's okay. Similar to #2, it's okay to have your own path and do your own thing. What you are really vying for may not work out the way you want, but there's always something better around the corner.

8. I really love eating out. Like... a lot. I  may have a problem... but once I see the waiter coming to the table with my food, I stop caring! I am trying to be healthier in 2018, so fingers crossed I manage to limit my excessive spending on food!

9. Having a small group of friends is better than having tons and tons of friends. I love the feeling of having a few close friends I share everything with! I've never been the one to have hundreds of friends, but when I had more and more people I called 'friend' in my life, things were just complicated and messy, so I've come to learn that fewer is better.

10. Music is life. I've discovered such great music! 2016 was amazing for me discovering music from different countries, and I continued that into 2017. I can't wait to see what is in store for 2018!


11. I should have started blogging ages ago! Technically, I did start blogging ages ago (only a few people will know of my old blog) but I should have started Ellie K ages ago! I love blogging here, and discovering new blogs and the amazing people behind them! I'm so grateful this came at the right time for me, and I'm excited for what awaits Ellie K in 2018!

12. Nosy people are everywhere and they don't always have the best intentions, so be careful. Be careful who you tell your business to! Enough said.

13. It's good to take loads of pictures! I love the feeling of getting home after being out and seeing all the pictures I took that day. I share them with my friends and we laugh at them together, and it's just the best! So take more pictures, and document more in your life!

14. You're never alone. Even when you think you have no one, there is always someone out there for you. Whether this someone is God, or a friend you're afraid to open up to, you're never alone!

15. It's possible to go out without wearing makeup and not look crazy! You're the only one that cares! I can count on both hands the amount of makeup I wore this year, and I'm very surprised! I used to be that person who wore makeup every time I went out, but I just stopped caring about how I looked and went out bare-faced. It was honestly kinda scary, but the more I did it, the more I loved it! Now it's a amazing if I wear foundation at all!

16. Switching your mentality from "why is this happening to me" to "what can I learn from this" really really helps. If nothing is going right, then try thinking of what you can learn in this situation. There is a lesson in everything, and once I internalised that and applied it, dealing with not-so-perfect situations became more bearable for me.

17. If someone is going through a hard time, the thing they'll want most is someone to just talk to. Someone they can trust and rely on. Please check up on your friends and family! Talk to someone if they're having a hard time, and reach out if you're having a hard time. A burden shared is a burden halved!

I'm so ready for 2018 to show me new possibilities and I hope we all have an amazing year! Maybe 2017 didn't offer the plot twist you were waiting for, but it doesn't mean 2018 won't offer the new beginnings you need. Let's all have an amazing year!❤