Powered by Blogger.

How To Relax & Unwind After A Long Day


There's nothing quite like getting home after being out all day, kicking your shoes off, crashing on the sofa and breathing in a big sigh. There are times where your regular night time routine just doesn't cut it and you need a bit more relaxation to be involved.

That's when I like to include one or more of these things so I can feel a bit more like a functioning human being. 

There is no particular order in which to do these things; just slot them into your regular routine where you see fit and hopefully they help you de-stress and relax before bed. While stress can be a good thing at the right times, too much stress over a long period of time is definitely bad for you and you should find the methods that work for you to reduce your stress.

And now onto the list!

SKINCARE
Doing my skincare routine (even on days I haven't work any makeup) is the quickest way to make me feel better after a long day. I love taking time to make sure my skin is being cleansed and moisturised properly. I don't believe in doing things half-way, so make sure you go all out for this part!

I know that spending time on your skincare routine after a long and tiring day is probably the last thing anyone wants to be doing, but just imagine how much better you'll feel when you're done! If you make it a habit and a regular part of your routine, then it definitely won't feel like a chore anymore!



READ
I love to read at any time in the day, but if it's been one of those then reading at night is such a great way to get my mind in a good place. If I'm tired enough, it can even get me straight to sleep!

If you're looking for a way to fall asleep, then reading is what I would definitely recommend to anyone!

BATH
Baths are one of the most popular ways for anyone to get relaxed. To add to the benefits of a bath, I love to add epsom salts or some essential oils. 

Epsom salts are great for soothing back pain and any aching muscles and they even draw toxins from the body! Sprinkle a couple of handfuls into the tub while it's still running and lay back while they get to work!

Adding essential oils is also one of my favourite ways to get in a stress-free mood. I add a few drops of lavender and orange oil while the bath is still running and it gets the whole room smelling delicious in a matter of seconds! Lavender is a natural relaxer and orange is good for stress relief so they're a perfect match to use!

Additional ways to relax in the bath is lighting some candles, reading a book and playing some music. It all sounds very cliche but trust me, it's going to put you in a better mood and you'll be ready for bed in no time!


ESSENTIAL OILS
As mentioned above, lavender and orange oils are great for relaxing. Other ways you can use essential oils is to add a few drops to your wrists, pillow or a tissue and breathe in the scent.

Using an essential oil diffuser will get the whole room to smell wonderful and depending on what oil you use, it'll definitely get you to unwind and relax. 

NETFLIX
Back in sixth form, the way I relaxed after finishing my exams (wooo!) was to hop into bed and get something running on Netflix! There are so many Netflix originals and other shows and movies on the website now - you're really spoilt for choice!

I've been enjoying How To Get Away With Murder, Jane The Virgin, Suits, Riverdale, and Hyori's Bed & Breakfast. For movies, Bright, The Cloverfield Paradox and 10 Cloverfield Lane have been my favourites. There are also classic things on there like Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Altered Carbon and a bunch of other shows that are very popular at the moment.

Browsing around for what to watch can be a whole task in itself but it'll all be worth it once you settle into bed or on the sofa with some snacks around you!

YOGA & MEDITATION
Before bed, I make sure to do some sort of quick yoga routine. Yoga has been amazing for my lower back and my mental well-being in general. You don't have to go all-out and buy expensive gear, nor do you need to do a routine that lasts forever! Loose clothing and just 5 minutes of your time can make a huge difference to you both physically and mentally.

For mediation, I love the app Insight Timer. I can decide on whether I want a guided meditation or not and there are thousands of free guided meditations and talks on the app! I do 5 to 10 minutes of meditation and that small amount of time is enough to let me unwind and relax. 


TEA
Drinking the right tea right before bed is going to put anyone in a state of pure relaxation!

I looove drinking either green tea or camomile tea because of their amazing benefits. Green tea has the amino acid L-theanine which helps with anxiety and makes for a relxing sleep. It also helps improve the qualiy of your sleep. Camomile is also soothing and relaxing and helps with colds by boosting your immune system.

Brew yourself some tea (or hot water) before bed and drink it 30 minutes before sleeping and you'll really fall asleep like a baby!

MUSIC
Finally, music is another great way to relax and unwind after a long day. There have been so many studies carried out that show that music can help reduce stress. 

Classical music is amazing for getting into a relaxing mood and if you don't have a sleep playlist on Spotify or your phone, that's what you need to do right away! Mine is filled with some classical music, slow R&B and ballads. When I lay in bed listening to them, I feel myself drifting away and I'm 100% relaxed!

I hope this list was helpful to you all and that it has given you some inspiration for what to do when the day has been a little too much to handle. These things really help me out when I've had one of those days and I need to feel like myself again.

What are your favourite ways to relax in the evening?

RELATED POST: